Sunday, September 12, 2010

Week 1 In Sevilla

It seems in a way that I have been here for a month but when I realize I don’t know my way around, it feels like a day. Sevilla is very different from Madrid and reminds me of Italy and Toledo (a city outside of Madrid). The streets are small and twisty, hence with my terrible sense of direction, I get lost a lot! We have maps but they are not detailed and I still get lost!Walking around every day for hours is a good way to know your area and see what stores and restaurants are there. Hence I have figured out a few things are am getting more familiar but I probably won't find my way 100% until we leave, or so it seems. Plus it is important to have good shoes that do not give you blisters! You walk A LOT!!!

On Friday, we did a yimkana (scavenger hunt). This took us all around the city and to many different places. They gave us questions and we had to figure out what we thought it was and take a picture with out group. Our group actually won, after thinking we wouldn’t. It was definitely fun! After that … we all got into the room with our luggage and waited for our name to be called to go out and meet our “senoras” or host families. I was VERY nervous about this!

It turns out that my host family is VERY nice! My host mom “concha” is very sweet and I enjoy talking to her and practicing my Spanish. Her husband, Marco, is quiet but nice.He said to call him if I was ever out and felt unsafe that he would come get me. I totally forgot how much I loved senoras cooking. Concha’s food is AMAZING and I love it! I definitely have tried new things such as clams/muscles and different fishes but I got to be open.My host mom also does not eat/drink milk, cheese or anything like that so it definitely helps!I also can’t believe how much my Spanish has improved in the areas of understanding and even speaking.I am able to hold a conversation with her and understand the news and TV shows that we watch. This definitely will help me build confidence to speak and adapt to the Andalucian accent, which can be challenging to understand at times! They use a “th” sound when pronouncing s,c etc … However, it has made me very excited to be able to comprehend!


Unfortunately I do not have internet at my homestay but it allows me to read and take a siesta (nap). It is sometimes boring but I figure things out. The days here also seem sooooo long! For breakfast I have a juice box, then lunch is not served until 2:30-3pm. Siesta is from 2/3-5pm. Then dinner is between 9:30 and 11pm. And then people do not go out until midnight at the absolute EARLIEST! It's crazy! It also is not uncommon to see little children, at ANY age walking around at 1 or 2 in the morning with their parents! That has been very strange to see!


Classes start tomorrow and so I hope that I will have more to do. I will try to upload pictures later, although I have not been taking that many. I should start! I am enjoying my time here and it is definitely nice to understand more! Will write more next time I am in the cafe!

Besos,
Julie

1 comment:

  1. Hola Julie, qué gusto leer tu blog. Me alegro que te guste tanto Sevilla y que tu madre española sea excelente cocinera. ¿por cuánto tiempo estarás en Sevilla antes de ir a Almería? Cuando puedas, sube unas fotos de tus aventuras a la página del blog. Abrazos de Bloomington, Carolyn Nadeau

    ReplyDelete