Thursday, September 23, 2010

Adios Sevilla, Hola Vera!

Hola Amigas!!

My days here in Sevilla are winding down!  I am sad to leave my host family as they have been VERY nice but I do hope to stay in touch and I know "concha" wants to see me again! 

I have discovered a few things about Sevilla.  1) Watch your step!  There is dog poop all over the sidewalks! Not only that but dogs do not walk on leashes here and run freely. 2) The bike paths are dangerous!  If you walk on them, you are bound to get hit.  They use these religiously, unlike in the US.  3) Sevilla is beautiful.  4) Books are VERY expensive in Spain!  I bought my first non-school-related Spanish Novel entitled "La piel de tambor" and I saw many others they cost a lot more.  There are paperbacks that are 20 EUROS!  I finally found my novel for just over 8 and that is on the VERY cheap side!  5) People in Spain tend to stare at you a lot.  I can't decide if they can tell I'm American or that is just their way.  6) Tinto deverano is my new favorite drink!  It is red wine and then lemon flavored soda.  7) PDA is normal.  People are making out ALL over the place.  Does not matter where or when.  8) Second hand smoke! 

Over the past few days I have been to class and been sight seeing a little more.  Last night I saw alone the river with one of my friends and drank some wine.  It was very peaceful and beautiful.  I can see how Sevilla is a romantic city!  Today I bought a fan (due to the extreme heat and lack of AC) and my first book (as explained above).

I am very anxious to get to my final destination (Vera, Almeria) and see what it is like.  I have heard a few different reactions to Vera.  It is pretty, there are lots of hippies, it is known for its nudity (oh dear -- don't worry Mom), and that is about it.  There is very little information in books or online about the city.  I guess I will see it all when I arrive on Saturday.  It is a very small town of 13,000 or so however, there are 5-8 people stationed to teach there!

Anyways ... I'm not too good at this whole blog thing.  Hope things are well in the US! 
Hasta luego!

Besos,
Julia

2 comments:

  1. hope the move to Vera goes well! can't wait to hear all about it! miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and miss you!! I hope the transition is going ok, hang in there it will be AMAZING I know it :)

    ReplyDelete