Sunday, January 30, 2011

Surviving the winter and honoring the animals!


I may live in Spain, but let me tell you it’s not always warm and dandy.  In fact, the temperature of my body and the inside of my apartment has been the hardest part of Spain yet.  That’s what brings on the homesickness and culture shock.  My question is, how do Spaniards live without calefacción (heat)?  They stay bundled up in heavy coats and scarf’s until April yet are fine with enduring the freezing temperatures inside; while us Americans are out in t-shirts in January and February but are barely surviving the insides of our home and schools.  And I come from the windy city where it doesn’t compare to the wind endured in Vera.  

            They have a normally mild winter with temperatures between 45-65 degrees.  However, these homes were not made for winter period, but extremely high temperatures that arrive in the summer.  The tile floors and stucco walls are like ice.  There is no insulation in any of the buildings.  The temperature of the inside is probably around 10 degrees colder than outside.   Of course this apartment would be great in the summer because it is supposed to allow for the apartment to be cooler than outside in the 100 degree weather.  Perhaps that is why I have only met a few neighbors and the rest do not show up until the summer.  Anyways,  I’m always wearing multiple layers of my down winter coat to stay warm.  I am often too cold at night to read as I do not want my fingers to come out from under the covers.  And I often wake up with a red and frozen nose.  We survive with one small electric heater that sits in our living room.  Who knows what the cost of turning it on all day is.  It helps if it has been on all day.  I also sit on my computer all day just to enjoy the warmth that it gives off on my lap.  There is also the plus of putting the heater in the bathroom before I shower and then I am not forcing myself out into the frigid air after the hot water is turned off.   However, as weird as this may sound, I have discovered that the fewer amount of cloths you have on (i.e. not multiple layers, just one) while you sleep, the more body heat is retained under the covers.  The only hard part is getting to take off all the layers, dive into bed and wait for the blankets and sheets to stop feeling like ice.  The big downer is that there is not even heat at school, meaning that I have no relief from the cold unless I want to lay in bed all day.  This has been the hardest part is to have my body feel like it’s freezing for days on end.  Appreciate the heat you have in the subzero temperatures that are plummeting the USA.  

            On top of the cold weather and my lack of warm cloths, my room has been infested with mold.  I first noticed it in November and promptly cleaned it with bleach, detergent and warm water.  Then it came back after winter vacation but in a different spot, and I recently found some more.  I just hope I do not have health problems associated with this.  I have informed my landlord but sometimes there is still a language barrier …. But hopefully he will do something about it.  I was going to purchase a dehumidifier because that is probably the primary cause however I soon found out that they cost 140 euros ($190).  Crazy, I know!  So … I simply have resorted to opening my windows during the day with my door shut to allow for air circulation.  I also spend more time now in the living room with the heater.  

            Hence, that has been my winter experience here in Spain.  It is still cold, and if it is not cold outside then expect it to be colder inside.  I am anxiously awaiting the rise in temperature so that I can soak up the sun and not be inside this cold apartment. 

            Moving onto my recent discovery of today’s (January 30th) events.  I started my day out by reading in the Plaza outside my house to enjoy the warm rays of the sun, when I heard drums and the sound of many people talking.  I decided to meander down to Plaza Mayor and check out all the chaos and commotion.  I soon discovered it was “el día de San Antón—El patron de los animals”.  He is the saint of all the animals.     

  There were tons of animals, from dogs to cats in strollers to rabbits to guinea pigs to birds and even a horse (which I probably shouldn’t find uncommon at all since they seem to always be around at town fairs)!  Although I didn’t pet any animals, it was so nice to see so many different types of animals/dogs. 
 The mini horse
 Owner with dog in stroller
 Guinea Pigs
 Some of the dogs

  In the procession there were two bands leading a big float with whom I am assuming was San Antón.  In the bands were also two of my teachers from school, Pedro and Pepe. 
 Pepe
 Pedro was in the funny band playing the Cymbal

As the procession reentered into Plaza Mayor, I noticed everyone walking towards the Ayuntamiento (city hall).  I was being stubborn and decided to stay where I was because I wanted to get pictures … I soon discovered that the mayor and other people started throwing rings of bread, toys, candy and other gadgets from the second floor of the city hall!  I quickly ran over and took part in the raising of my hands to catch anything that came my way, also realizing that I may get wacked on the head by oncoming toys.   

I got a ring of bread, some candy and a G.I. Joe which I gave away to one of my students.  I then came back to my piso and had a big smile on my face as I recapped what just happened.  All my favorite things in one place:  Over 50 animals in the Plaza, candy flying through the air and the honoring of animals.  It was a great way to start my Sunday and to experience the saints in my pueblo.  

            This has been my adventures of January 30th and the experience I have had during the winter in Spain.  I hope you all continue to enjoy my entries.  My next planned trip is to Granada at the end of February to go snowboarding on the Sierra Nevada.  I may try for another small trip around Andalucia or to Valencia before then, but I will keep you all posted!  Once again, I’m jealous of those with heat. 
Un besito,
Julie

3 comments:

  1. Here is the website to see them all :
    http://picasaweb.google.com/107793401353066409976/SanAntonJan30?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvRqcGOle7NMA#

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beaming you warm thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fleece sheets have to be by far the greatest invention for the cold...pick some of those up if they have them any where!

    ReplyDelete